IBM Operational Decision Management has three Rule Engine Execution modes. The tricky part comes while choosing the appropriate execution mode for the rules in the rule task. To choose the correct execution mode, we should consider all the rules in the rule task.
Choose the Rule Engine Execution mode as per the below
- If the rules implement an intricate use case where rule chaining is a key feature, use RetePlus Mode.
- If the rules are numerous, with randomly ordered sets. If there is no rule chaining in the rule task and the rules perform the basic tests on ruleset parameters, use Sequential Mode.
- If the rules are numerous, with shared test patterns (for example, the rules generated by decision tables), or with heterogeneous bindings, and there is no rule chaining within the rule task, use FastPath Mode.
Below table helps in selecting correct rule execution mode
|1||Copliance and Validation application||No||Yes||Yes|
|6||Shared Test Patterns||No||No||Yes|
|9||Runtime rule selection that a few among many||Yes||Yes||No|
How to set Rule Engine Execution Mode in ODM
- Open the rule flow in the project.
- Click Rule Task in the Properties view.
- Select one of the following algorithms:
- RetePlus. The default execution mode is set to Fastpath in Operational Decision Manager V8.6, whereas in previous versions the default execution mode is RetePlus. If you want to still use RetePlus with your migrated rule projects, set the default execution mode to RetePlus in the Rule Designer Preferences dialog. Otherwise, you must manually set the execution mode to RetePlus for each newly created rule task.
- Fastpath. As this is the default mode, you do not have to choose Fastpath for a rule task unless you are changing the execution mode back to Fastpath. Also, if you do not need inference, consider switching to Fastpath in rule tasks that were created in a previous release, where the default was RetePlus. All newly created rule tasks take Fastpath by default.
The default execution mode is set to Fastpath in Operational Decision Manager V8.6, whereas in previous versions the default execution mode is RetePlus.
Happy Learning! Happy Exploring!!
Enjoy Reading This Article?
Here are some more articles you might like to read next: